Tuesday 27 October 2009

Shut up and wrap me in a bundle of cloth

...is precisely what Yoshikazu Yamagata did to his models for the writtenafterwards ss10 collection. I wasn't particularly impressed with what Japan Fashion Week had to offer this coming season, however I am impressed by the presentation of the writtenafterwards show. Fashion-wise, to be completely honest, I reckon a tramp might have been able to carry out something similar if given a clean piece of fabric, but I found the whole concept of the show quite comical and I always love it when designers incorporate old people into their shows, it's kind of a relief after seeing tonnes of fit birds for the past couple of months or so. Actually, I was being a little harsh just now, it's not all that bad I suppose, it's just not great, I actually can't imagine how heavy the dresses must have been, with all that fabric twisted and turned and wrapped and tied (I could go on forever, but you get the gist) toga stylee. In a way, I could imagine this being quite nice for an editorial, it's all very soft and fluffy and heavenly.

So a little intro for Mr. Yamagata. He graduated from Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design majoring in womenswear in 2005 and worked as an assistant designer for John Galliano, he returned to Japan and started his own label. I was just checking out his website and it's strange how all his previous collections seem to be so wearable and he's kind of gone a bit crazy on this one. He's got quite an interesting little website which I think is worth a look at, including some masks he made for Hedi Slimane and these cute puppet thingys. Go check it out!











No comments:

Post a Comment